Windows 10 is still the dominant Microsoft OS

There’s a bajillion complaints every time, and it clearly falls on deaf ears.

Because no one can contact these big companies.

People just hate change, so until change is forced, people won’t.

I love how every time a new version of Windows comes out, people talk about how it’s the worst version ever. Then after the next version comes out, people talk about how they refuse to leave the previously hated version.
Meh its more every other version. 95 good 98 bad until SE... 2000 good ME bad.. XP good.. Vista Bad.. 7 good... so on and so forth.

Meh its more every other version. 95 good 98 bad until SE... 2000 good ME bad.. XP good.. Vista Bad.. 7 good... so on and so forth.
Those are retrospective views, I was there for the rage and the flipping opinions. It’s that after a few years of it being out, people cool off after they get used to it.

Those are retrospective views, I was there for the rage and the flipping opinions. It’s that after a few years of it being out, people cool off after they get used to it.
No those are views from being there lol. Those are views from a computer tech who had to deal with the anti change customers on a daily basis.

No those are views from being there lol. Those are views from a computer tech who had to deal with the anti change customers on a daily basis.
We’re on the internet, you can look up contemporary views when the OS’s got released and how hated they were. Then contrast that to the opinions of each one when the support ends and people then flip to “I really liked that OS”.

It was entertaining seeing Windows 7 get hated for being rebranded Vista to “best Windows ever”.

Of course because people get use to things and stuff does improve. That doesn't change the fact that Vista was hated at the beginning due to poor performance issues(even in machines with the required specs), being buggy AF, and having certain new security features that people found annoying.(UAC). With that said two service packs later and Vista became a usable OS. So those who were using it were finally happy with it. Others just stayed with XP or downgraded to XP. Windows 7 was considered a rebranded Vista because it was to an extent. It still used the NT 6 kernel but it was redone. Hence it using NT 6.1. 7 also took aero and improved it. 7 had better resource handling . 7 was what Vista should have been from the start.

Of course because people get use to things and stuff does improve. That doesn't change the fact that Vista was hated at the beginning due to poor performance issues(even in machines with the required specs), being buggy AF, and having certain new security features that people found annoying.(UAC). With that said two service packs later and Vista became a usable OS. So those who were using it were finally happy with it. Others just stayed with XP or downgraded to XP. Windows 7 was considered a rebranded Vista because it was to an extent. It still used the NT 6 kernel but it was redone. Hence it using NT 6.1. 7 also took aero and improved it. 7 had better resource handling . 7 was what Vista should have been from the start.
That doesn’t discredit my point that all the Windows versions were hated. In retrospect, we can see either which versions truly deserved the hate, or were just “I hate it because it’s different”.

Whatever’s the newest version of Windows, it gets treated like the scourge of the earth, and the previous Windows that was the former scourge of the earth now has a just as vocal group proclaiming their love for it. So when it comes to contemporary opinions on the newest version of Windows, you’ll primarily find largely negative opinions. If we take a time machine (or pull up threads) to around 2015 when 10 new, we’ll see how hated Windows 10 was, and people declaring how they’re refusing to upgrade from 7, and non-techies being weary of upgrading because of all the negativity. Now fast forward to 2023, now we have the same cycle with Windows 11, and people talking about they’re refusing to upgrade from 10, and non-techies being weary of moving to 11.

That doesn’t discredit my point that all the Windows versions were hated. In retrospect, we can see either which versions truly deserved the hate, or were just “I hate it because it’s different”.

Whatever’s the newest version of Windows, it gets treated like the scourge of the earth, and the previous Windows that was the former scourge of the earth now has a just as vocal group proclaiming their love for it. So when it comes to contemporary opinions on the newest version of Windows, you’ll primarily find largely negative opinions. If we take a time machine (or pull up threads) to around 2015 when 10 new, we’ll see how hated Windows 10 was, and people declaring how they’re refusing to upgrade from 7, and non-techies being weary of upgrading because of all the negativity. Now fast forward to 2023, now we have the same cycle with Windows 11, and people talking about they’re refusing to upgrade from 10, and non-techies being weary of moving to 11.
My point isn't really about all OSes being hated. I'm stating facts from the real world not internet users opinion on said OSes. I'm speaking as someone in the IT world. Vista was horrible. ME was horrible. Both were unstable messes to say the least.8 was bad but not horrible.

Every new version of Windows is more or less, "an acquired taste"! I won't EVER upgrade my current computer to a brand new version of Windows, and will only get the newest version of Windows if no PC is shipping an old version anymore!

My point isn't really about all OSes being hated. I'm stating facts from the real world not internet users opinion on said OSes. I'm speaking as someone in the IT world. Vista was horrible. ME was horrible. Both were unstable messes to say the least.8 was bad but not horrible.
You’re forgetting you’re on the internet, and most people get their opinions about things from the internet these days. So the average person is going to get the internet’s answer and not the IT professional answer.

Even after working in IT for several years, I still see coworkers bitching every time a new Windows version comes out. We don’t jump ship to every Windows version when they’re new, but that doesn’t stop them from bitching when we do upgrade, or for their personal computer(s) at home.

We upgraded all of our computers from 7 to 10. Bitch bitch bitch bitch. Server 2012 to 2016? Bitch bitch bitch bitch. We have 2019 now? Bitch bitch bitch bitch. We have plans for some new 2022 servers and moving to Windows 11, guess what’s gonna happen, bitch bitch bitch. Hell, it even happens when we upgrade software.

So “real world” doesn’t matter. Even if it functions perfectly fine, there’s going to be a large group of people that hate change and are very set in their ways that are going to throw a fit. Doesn’t matter if they’re the end user, standard consumer, or tier 1, 2, or 3 user.

You’re forgetting you’re on the internet, and most people get their opinions about things from the internet these days. So the average person is going to get the internet’s answer and not the IT professional answer.

Even after working in IT for several years, I still see coworkers bitching every time a new Windows version comes out. We don’t jump ship to every Windows version when they’re new, but that doesn’t stop them from bitching when we do upgrade, or for their personal computer(s) at home.

We upgraded all of our computers from 7 to 10. Bitch bitch bitch bitch. Server 2012 to 2016? Bitch bitch bitch bitch. We have 2019 now? Bitch bitch bitch bitch. We have plans for some new 2022 servers and moving to Windows 11, guess what’s gonna happen, bitch bitch bitch. Hell, it even happens when we upgrade software.

So “real world” doesn’t matter. Even if it functions perfectly fine, there’s going to be a large group of people that hate change and are very set in their ways that are going to throw a fit. Doesn’t matter if they’re the end user, standard consumer, or tier 1, 2, or 3 user.

To be fair, no one wants to touch servers, if it's working, DON'T TOUCH IT! in my personal experience, but alas.

To be fair, no one wants to touch servers, if it's working, DON'T TOUCH IT! in my personal experience, but alas.
The only people who are scared to touch servers either don’t know what they’re doing, or their network is held together with paper clips and gum. If it’s virtual, take snapshots. If it’s physical, have your tier 3 guy with you.

Though you’re also supposed to keep the old one up while you’re setting up the new one. Then after it’s confirmed to work, then turn off the old one. Also, redundancy is a thing. Have at least two of everything.

You’re eventually going to have to upgrade or replace servers, so the “don’t touch it” moniker only lasts so much.

Though the bitching I mentioned earlier has less to do with “grrr I have to build a new server and it might break something” and instead “zomfg I can’t autopilot because Microsoft added a new setting or moved it to a new location!!!!”

Last edited:
The only people who are scared to touch servers either don’t know what they’re doing, or their network is held together with paper clips and gum. If it’s virtual, take snapshots. If it’s physical, have your tier 3 guy with you.

Though you’re also supposed to keep the old one up while you’re setting up the new one. Then after it’s confirmed to work, then turn off the old one. Also, redundancy is a thing. Have at least two of everything.

You’re eventually going to have to upgrade or replace servers, so the “don’t touch it” moniker only lasts so much.

Though the bitching I mentioned earlier has less to do with “grrr I have to build a new server and it might break something” and instead “zomfg I can’t autopilot because Microsoft added a new setting or moved it to a new location!!!!”

Lol, servers aren't cheap to have two of the same thing.

Even the most well laid setup can cripple to unknown issues with servers.

Lol, servers aren't cheap to have two of the same thing.

Even the most well laid setup can cripple to unknown issues with servers.
If you need 100% uptime, your project managers factor redundancy into your budget. Having a single domain controller is basically asking for trouble.

We have two of everything. That way we can allow failover when one is having issues like a failing power supply, or you’re rebooting it after patching. Servers don’t fail for “unknown” reasons. It’s always a hardware or software failure.

Now that I think about it, we technically have four of everything, because we have an offsite location as part of our disaster recovery plan. I don’t do anything there, so I keep forgetting about it.

I think people wouldn't scoff so much if the upgrades wouldn't require people to have tech knowledge. I am not into tech & it just goes over my head. I hate upgrading because they keep making it harder & harder for the average person to figure out. Those who are into tech can shrug it off but the makers have to realize many of us just want the basics. There's SO MUCH on the computer that many people just do not utilize. Even Microsoft Word that I use. I don't use maybe 90% of what's there because most of it I just do not need to learn or I don't understand & don't want to take time to learn it. I have other priorities.

People just hate change, so until change is forced, people won’t.

I love how every time a new version of Windows comes out, people talk about how it’s the worst version ever. Then after the next version comes out, people talk about how they refuse to leave the previously hated version.
This is human nature and it's never going to change. We always like to learn the hard way before we will start appreciating it. I know when there was a lot of criticism after Windows 7 was upgraded.

Back